Take Your Car with You
When you rent a tow dolly or car carrier from us, you'll get your vehicle to your new destination safely. Just follow the instructions below.
- Attach the towing device to your Penske rental truck before loading your vehicle.
- Do not load possessions, people or pets in your towed vehicle.
- Do not attempt to back up your rental truck with the towing device attached. Severe damage to your vehicle and the tow device could result. If backing up is necessary, remove your vehicle from the towing device, then unhook the towing device from the truck and move them separately.
- Vehicles with a low front end or air dams may not have enough ground clearance to drive up the car carrier ramp or tow dolly platform.
- Your vehicle must be centered with its front end facing forward on the towing device. Never back a vehicle onto a towing device.
Tow Dolly or Car Carrier?
Penske Truck Rental offers two devices for towing your vehicle, a tow dolly and a car carrier. Use the table below to select the right device based on your towed vehicle.
|Tow Dolly||Car Carrier|
|Load capacity||4,300 lbs.||4,050 lbs.|
|Strap system||3-point tie-down||3-point tie-down|
|Ramp type||attached ramps||84 in. with 13.75° angle|
For towed vehicles with:
|Maximum width of||74 in.||79 in.|
|Minimum width of||42 in. inside of tires||42 in. inside of tires|
|Maximum wheel base of||125 in.||125 in.|
|22 – 27 in.|
|22 – 28 in.|
|* Calculate overall tire diameter|