With just a month before the start of the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season, the spotlight is on preparation. Take steps now to help keep yourself and your property safe.
The Atlantic hurricane season begins on June 1 and ends on Nov. 30, with the majority of the storms occurring between mid-August and mid-October.
National Hurricane Preparedness Week, from May 3 to 9, is a chance for you to review important safety information on what to do before, during and after a storm hits.
Hurricanes can cause storm surges, high winds and flooding. It is important that you and your business have a plan in place in case your area is affected.
Forecasters predict this year's season will be above average with 16 named storms, of which eight are expected to reach hurricane status. Four of the storms are expected to reach major hurricane strength.
In 2019, there were 18 named storms, including six hurricanes. Three storms made landfall in the U.S.: Barry, Imelda and Nestor. The season's most destructive storm was Dorian, which struck the Bahamas, killing more than 60 people and causing several billion dollars in damage.
Preparation is Key
Penske offers the following advice to consumers and business customers on what to do before a storm arrives:
- Make safety your number one priority.
- Top off your truck fuel tanks.
- Move trucks to higher ground if in a flood-prone area.
- Stay tuned to local news stations for weather reports.
- Adhere to all travel, road advisories and restrictions.
- Delay travel into impacted areas when possible.
- Know your evacuation routes and have a plan.
Important Penske Information
Contact us if you need assistance with your lease or rental units before or after the storm:
- Penske Location and Fuel Finder Tool
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-800-526-0798
- Consumer Truck Rental Reservations: 1-888-996-5415
- Commercial Truck Rental Reservations: 1-800-736-7531
Penske Facilities Questions
Penske takes steps to ensure continued service, but there are times when delays and closures may be necessary due to travel restrictions, weather conditions, power outages or a state of emergency.
Please call our 24/7 Roadside Assistance team at 1-800-526-0798 to confirm the open or closed status of a Penske facility.
Additional Helpful Resources
- U.S. DOT National Traffic and Road Closures and Advisories by State
- Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA)
- FEMA Blog – Emergency Updates and Preparedness
- Ready.gov – Hurricane Preparedness
- National Hurricane Center Storm Updates
- American Red Cross Hurricane Tips
By "Move Ahead" Staff
For assistance with other Penske services, please use the numbers below.