February 04, 2021
One Month Before
Plan what is getting packed
- Estimate how big a truck you'll need and reserve it. Determine the right truck size with Penske's Truck Wizard.
- Get boxes and supplies for packing. Save time and order moving supplies online now.
- Pack out-of-season and non-essential items early.
- Lighten your load. Donate unwanted items to charity or hold a garage sale.
- Plan how your pet will travel. Save 10% on gear from Kurgo, including dog car harnesses and pet carriers.
Two Weeks Before
The Four P's: Papers, Post Office, Providers and People
- Make copies of medical records, birth certificates, etc.
- Change address with the post office, banks, credit cards and magazines.
- Call service providers and utilities to schedule turn on date.
- Secure moving-day help. Ask friends and family to save the date; reserve sitters; contact simplemovinglabor.com.
The Day Before
- Finish packing, taping and labeling boxes.
- Prepare major appliances and electronics for the move.
- Secure dresser drawers and appliance doors with rope and tape.
- Assemble a moving-day kit, including directions, map, checkbook, credit cards, IDs, eyeglasses, sunglasses, prescription drugs, flashlight, water, snacks, games for kids, and old and new house keys.
- Pick up your rental truck the day/evening before to save time on moving day.
- Clean your house or apartment.