Personal Truck Rental Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers below to frequently asked questions about our Personal truck rentals.
Reserving a Truck
1. How can I check on or change my existing reservation?
2. Can I cancel my reservation?
You can cancel your reservation anytime with no fees attached.
3. Can I change the date of my reservation?
You can make as many date changes as needed prior to pick-up (within 6 months of original reservation date), based on availability, without affecting your rate.
4. What if I need to add days to my one-way truck rental reservation?
5. If I return my rental truck early, will I receive a refund?
- One-way rentals - The one-way rental rate is on a per-trip basis. There is no refund for early return.
- Local (round-trip) rentals - You will only be charged for the number of days you have your rental vehicle.
6. Do I need to provide a deposit for my reservation?
- For one-way reservations:
- No security deposit when paid for with a credit card.
- Security deposit of $100 when paid for with cash or check.
- For round-trip (local) reservations:
- Security deposit of $150 when paid for with a credit card.
- Security deposit of 150% of the estimated total with a minimum amount of $150 when paid for with cash or check.
- All security deposits are fully refundable if the terms and conditions of the reservation are met.
7. Is my reservation guaranteed?
At Penske, we guarantee that the vehicle you reserved, or an equivalent or larger vehicle, will be available at the time and location you selected. If you reserve within 24 hours of pickup, Penske cannot guarantee a truck will be available for your reservation and Penske may provide an alternate pickup location.
Rates, Payment, & Fees
1. I checked a rate yesterday and it is different today. Why is that?
Our rates are based on a variety of factors including equipment supply and customer demand. Because these factors fluctuate daily, our rates change on a daily basis.
2. What forms of payment does Penske accept?
We accept major credit cards, bank or cashier checks, and cash. Please note that Penske does not accept cash payments in excess of $5,000, though transactions can be split between two forms of payment.
3. Why are cash payments limited?
Due to federal money laundering concerns, Penske does not accept cash payments in excess of $5,000.
4. What is the environmental fee?
Penske is committed to doing its part to protect our environment. In the operation of our truck rental business, we handle a number of materials that may be harmful to the environment. These materials must be disposed of properly and in accordance with the law. Penske charges a nominal environmental fee on all local, one-way and commercial rentals to cover these costs. Please review your rental agreement for cost details.
5. Are there any charges due when I return the truck?
There are no charges due if you are on time and return the truck in the same condition and with the same fuel level or charge level, with respect to electric vehicles, as when you received it. Penske does not have any hidden mileage or turn-in fees.
6. Are additional days for one-way rentals refundable?
Prior to pick-up, any additional days added are refundable up to payment of rental.Once payment is made and after pick-up, additional days paid for are non-refundable.
1. How old do I have to be to drive a Penske truck?
You must be at least 18 years old and able to produce two forms of identification, including:
- Driver's license
- State-issued ID
- Social Security card
- Vehicle registration
- Phone bill
- Military ID
- Credit card
Penske personal moving trucks do not require a special license to drive.
2. Can someone else drive the truck I have rented?
Yes. You may add up to three additional drivers for a fee of $10 each. Additional drivers must also provide two forms of identification. Family members may be added at no charge.
1. Does Penske rent moving trailers?
Penske does not rent moving trailers. However, we do rent a variety of truck sizes. Picking a larger truck will allow you to pack all your belongings in one spot. And you can tow your car behind your Penske truck on our safe and convenient towing equipment.
2. Can I tow my own trailer behind a Penske truck?
No. For liability reasons and your safety, we do not allow customers to tow any non-Penske-owned equipment behind our trucks.
3. Can I rent a car carrier or tow dolly without a Penske truck?
No. Penske's towing equipment is engineered specifically to tow behind a Penske truck only.
4. Why can't my make or model of car be towed on your towing equipment?
Not all vehicles meet our weight, width, tire size, wheelbase and drive shaft requirements. We have these requirements to prevent damage to your vehicle. View our towing equipment.
Toll Road Questions
1. Am I responsible for paying tolls?
Yes. You are responsible for any fines or penalties related to parking, traffic, operating and moving violations, including toll fees that occur during your rental period.
2. What happens if I go through electronic tolling?
Unless you have paid the toll directly, Penske will initially be charged for the toll since the license plate on the rented truck or cargo van is registered to Penske. Penske will then charge you for tolls incurred throughout your rental, plus a $25 processing fee.
3. How do I find and pay for the toll fees?
After your rental period, you will receive a communication outlining the toll charges that occurred during your rental period and the $25 processing fee. The payment will be processed using the payment method you have on file.
4. How long will it take to receive a communication about my toll fees?
Penske has no control over when a jurisdiction will provide toll charges. You will be notified once Penske receives and processes the information.
For every day you rent, we're giving you a day on us. So if you reserve for two days, you will be charged for one. We know moving can be stressful. So relax and enjoy the day on us during these uncertain times. Read more
Penske’s Rent for a Day, Get a Second Day Free Special promotional discount applies only to the daily vehicle rental charges. All taxes, fees (including but not limited to vehicle use taxes), and surcharges (including but not limited to the Mileage Fee, Environmental Fee, Vehicle License Fee) are extra. Optional products such as supplemental insurance, Limited Damage Waiver (LDW), hand trucks, furniture pads, and dolly’s are extra. Fuel charges are extra. Promotional discount is valid only in the Contiguous United States. Customer must select the number of days for the rental and then the promotional discount is automatically applied at checkout. The promotional discount is available on household / personal local rentals only. The promotional discount is valid from 12:01AM ET, 10/1/2022 until 11:59PM ET, 11/11/2022; provided that the Customer must pick up the vehicle on a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday during the promotional period. Limit of one use per Customer. Maximum of five (5) free day’s rental charges per Customer. This offer is subject to vehicle availability at the time of reservation. Promotional discount may be combined with other coupons, offers, or discounts. This promotional discount is not redeemable for cash or cash equivalent. The promotional discount is not transferable and Penske reserves the right to change terms at any time in our sole discretion.