Map Out Your Move At Least 30 Days Beforehand.
Pack – load – unpack – repeat.
Do-it-yourself movers know this cycle all too well.
While tedious at times, DIY moving is made easier with Penske Truck Rental. It's also an extremely beneficial option – especially for budget-conscious individuals looking to save money.
Ready to reap the benefits?
Before beginning, don't overlook the importance of planning – an essential component of DIY moves. Save yourself from the typical moving frustrations by planning at least one month in advance.
Penske Truck Rental recommends following this timeline:
30 Days Prior
Arrange the logistics.
- Use Penske's Truck Wizard to determine what size rental truck suits your needs. Once decided, reserve the truck as soon as possible.
- Stock up on moving supplies and boxes. Buy these items online to save time.
- Pack all non-essential and out-of-season belongings.
- Sort through belongings beforehand. Donate, sell or toss items that you no longer use.
14 Days Prior
Follow the Four P's – Papers, Post Office, Providers and People.
- Have copies of medical records, birth certificates, etc., readily available.
- Change address with post office, banks, credit cards and magazines.
- Schedule a turn-on date for all utilities.
- Recruit friends and family to help with the move.
One Day Prior
Complete remaining tasks.
- Finish packing and labeling boxes.
- Secure major appliances, electronics and heavy furniture with rope and tape.
- Create a moving-day kit – include maps, checkbooks, credit cards, IDs, medicine, eyeglasses, sunglasses, flashlights, snacks, water, games for kids and old and new house keys.
- Pick up your Penske rental truck the day before the move.
- Clean your house or apartment.
It's not too late to plan a DIY move. Penske Truck Rental offers unlimited miles on all one-way truck rentals, discounts for AAA members, college students and members of the military as well as packing supplies and 24/7 roadside assistance. Are you ready to make a reservation? Visit the Penske Truck Rental website for more information.
By Nicole Forktus