Safely Operating the Liftgate on Your Truck
- Adhere to all safety requirements and instructions when operating the liftgate.
- Always maintain a safe operational area when using the liftgate.
- Never operate the control switch while unfolding the platform.
Instructions for Operating the Liftgate
These instructions will show you how to safely operate the liftgate on a Penske rental truck. Please note that some specifics may vary slightly for different truck manufacturers or models. If you have questions about operating a liftgate, contact your local Penske Truck Rental representative or our 24/7 Roadside Assistance team.
- Unfolding the Liftgate1. Start the truck engine and make sure the truck is in “Park" (if equipped) or “Neutral" and the parking brake is set. Turn on the liftgate auxiliary switch in the cab.2. All people and objects must be clear of the liftgate operational area. If applicable, unhook the safety chain from the eye on the liftgate, or push down on the control lever to release the latch.3. Standing to the side of the platform, push the control switch in the down direction until the platform touches the ground. Never operate the control switch while unfolding the platform.4. Unfold the platform using the hand hold supports provided. Next, unfold the flip-over section. Do not let the platform drop.5. Use the control switch to raise and lower the platform, adhering to all safety requirements and instructions.
- Stowing the Liftgate1. Raise the platform approximately three inches above the ground by pushing the control switch in the up direction.2. Ensure that any cart stops are stowed. Using the hand hold supports provided, fold flip-over section and then fold the platform.3. Push the control switch in the up direction. Most liftgates are equipped with an auto-latch system.4. If applicable, hook the safety chain to the eye on the liftgate, and turn off the liftgate auxiliary switch in the cab.5. Your liftgate has been securely stowed. Now you can put the truck in gear, release the parking break and drive away. Or, turn off the engine, remove keys, exit the cab and lock the doors.
We hope you find our basic liftgate operational video, "Basic Liftgate Operation," informative. The information provided in the "Basic Liftgate Operation" video has been made available for informational and educational purposes only. Penske does not make any representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy, reliability or completeness of the “Basic Liftgate Operation" video. Accordingly, Penske hereby disclaims any and all liability to any party for any direct, indirect, implied, punitive, special, incidental or other consequential damages arising directly or indirectly from any use of the “Basic Liftgate Operation" video, which is provided as is, and without warranties.
Go to top
For assistance with other Penske services, please use the numbers below.